Friday, January 7, 2011

The Village...

When I talk about "The Village", many of you know what I'm talking about.  Some of you have always lived in metropolitan areas and some of you think you live in a small town.  But there is something special about small town middle America.  I am talking about a town with no stop lights, no movie theater, or a library that is open just a couple days a week.  "The Village" is a place where children can roam free and ride there bikes everywhere.  Parents can rest assured that their neighbor is looking out for their little ones.

I am happy I had the experience of growing up in such a small place.  I have friends that I went to school with, worshipped with, caught tadpoles with, and took my horse swimming in Turkey Creek with.  Yes, a large part of that was the era in which I grew up.  I'm glad I did.  I love the city and all it has to offer, but I can love the city because I was raised to be sure of who I was and that I had a place where I belonged and could call home.  It was the people in this little town that gave me the confidence to reach for the stars.

DeWitt, you are a huge part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment